Protect America's Environment: For Our Families, For Our Future
Peninsular Bighorn Sheep
1997-1998 Cross-country Ski Trips
More recent newsletters available for 98-99, 99-00, and 00-01.
HI SKIERS! Here is our X/C Ski program for 1997-98. We have 28 trips listed and we'll add more if the snow lasts. We have 5 meetings at the Mira Mesa Community Center: Nov 3, Dec 1, Jan 5, Feb 2 and May 4. Come and learn everything you need to know about skiing.
This season should be spectacular. It is predicted to be wetter than 82-83 which holds the all time record snow pack for the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Most "El Ninos" are too warm for San Diego County snow, but San Jacinto and San Gorgonio can be outstanding. Come ski with us, you won't be disappointed.
Beginners are welcome on most trips and lessons are provided. Feb 1st is a "Beginner-only" instructional trip. For those interested in becoming ski leaders, Jan 31st is a Ski Leader training outing. Feb 8th is a Telemark class for those who want to learn how to carve graceful turns.
Fifteen trips are local, one day "WSI" trips (Where the Snow Is). Your only costs are car pool (if you don't drive), ski rental (if you don't own them) and a $5 donation to the Sierra Club. Five trips are multi-day fundraisers to the finest ski areas in California.
Our Thanksgiving trip to Mammoth has now become a tradition. The snow pack is usually modest, but the trip is inexpensive and the mountains are wonderful any time of year. Join us for all or part of the holiday.
Our New Year's trip is to Bear Valley, CA. We relocated both last seasons' Yosemite trips to Bear Valley when the January floods closed the valley. Both trips were so successful and inexpensive.
We hope to have WSI trips (see WSI description, below each weekend until the snow is gone. For more info call Mike Fry, 6pm to 8pm, 566-3851. (How late can we ski? :-)
- Nov 27-30, Thur-Sun, Thanksgiving in Mammoth: Beginner - advanced. We will take our bird with us and have a white Thanksgiving feast with new and old friends - beginners welcome. Join us for all or part of the Holiday weekend. Price:$30 plus lodging and car pool. Coordinator: Alice Fichandler, 4520 Green Street, San Diego, 92107; 226-6083.
- Dec 8, Mon night, 7:00pm, SKI SECTION MEETING at Mira Mesa Community Center, 8575 New Salem Street. S. D., 92126; Learn about ski equipment, clothes, past & future trips; share ski stories, come and ask questions; refreshments served. For information or directions call Barbara Domurad, 271-0696
- Dec 6-7, Dec 13-14, Dec 31-Jan4. Sat &/or Sun WSI (See Page 4 for description) Coordinator: Jim Crouch, 223-9084.
- Dec 31-Jan 4, Wed-Sun: Bear Valley/Calaveras County, CA. Beginner to Advanced. Explore Bear Valley and environs in the Mother Lode of Sierra Nevada, in Calavaras County, including Stanislaus National Forest, redwood groves, downhill, track and back-country ski areas. Includes 4 nights lodging in furnished vacation homes at Blue Lake Springs, bus transportation to ski areas. Accommodations will be assigned as full payment is received, and include king through twin beds. Price: $225 (add $25 for non-Sierra Club members). For reservations, please send $25 non-refundable deposit and 3 SASE to Coordinator: Eve Jones, 2298 Caminito Pajarito #78, SD 92107, 224-6534. For additional information send 1 SASE. Chapter fund raiser.
- Jan 5, Mon night, 7:00pm, SKI SECTION MEETING at Mira Mesa Community Center, 8575 New Salem Street. S. D., 92126; Learn about ski equipment, clothes, past & future trips; share ski stories, come and ask questions; refreshments served. For information or directions call Barbara Domurad, 271-0696
- Jan 10-11, Sat &/or Sun WSI, Coordinator: Needed. $5 Section fee.
- Jan 15-19, Thur night - Mon. Yosemite National Park: Beginner - Advanced. Price includes 4 nights lodging (3 nights in cabins at Curry Village) and bus transportation. Price: $260 for a quadruple (shared beds), $275 triple occupancy (shared bed), $285 triple occupancy and $310 double occupancy (some with shared bed: add $25 for non-Sierra Club members. Accommodations are limited and will be assigned as full payment is received. For reservations, please send $25 non-refundable deposit and 3 SASE to:Chuck Hansen, 4574 Adair St., S. D. 92107; 224-3086. Chapter fund raiser.
- Jan 24-25, Sat &/or Sun: WSI: Coordinator: Needed $5 Section fee.
- Jan 31, Sat. COL TRAINING, WSI: Training class includes ski instruction techniques, avalanche awareness, equipment repair; cost free. Lodging available at Keller Hut. Coordinator: Mike Fry, 566-3851.
- Feb 1, Sun: Beginner Class, WSI: Ski lessons for beginners. Cost $15 plus car pool costs, ski rental and lodging at Keller Hut (optional). Coordinator: Craig Denson, 270-3828: Send a SASE to 4259 Feather Ave., S. D. 92117
- Feb 1, Sun: Green Valley to Fawnskin: Intermediate - Advanced. Ski the back roads to Big Bear lake. Optional overnight at Keller Hut Sat. night. $5 section fee. Coordinator: Dan Anderson, 578-6914.
- Feb 2, Mon night, 7:00pm, SKI SECTION MEETING at Mira Mesa Community Center, 8575 New Salem Street. S. D., 92126; Learn about ski equipment, clothes, past & future trips; share ski stories, come and ask questions; refreshments served. For information or directions call Barbara Domurad, 271-0696
- Feb 7, Sat WSI: Coordinator: Needed. $5 Section fee.
- Feb 8, Sun: TELEMARK CLASS: Intermediate - Advanced. Improve your turning skills: cost $45 for lessons & lift ticket; car pool. Coordinator: Alvin Walter. 8435 Jade Coast; S. D., 92126: 586-1982.
- Feb 12-16, Thur night - Mon. Yosemite National Park: Beginner - Advanced. Spend Valentine's and Presidents' Days in Yosemite. Price includes 4 nights lodging (3 nights in cabins at Curry Village) and bus transportation. Price: $260 for a quadruple (shared beds), $275 triple occupancy (shared bed), $285 triple occupancy and $310 double occupancy (some with shared bed: add $25 for non-Sierra Club members. Accommodations are limited and will be assigned as full payment is received. For reservations, please send $25 non-refundable deposit and 3 SASE to Coordinator:Eve Jones, 2298 Caminito Pajarito #78, San Diego, CA 92107, 224-6534. For additional information send 1 SASE . Limited to 47 participants. Chapter fund raiser.
- Feb 14-15, Sat-Sun. San Gabrial Traverse. Stron Intermediate - Advanced. snow camp; car pool. Limited to 8. Coordinator: Alvin Walter. 8435 Jade Coast; San Diego 92126; 586-1982.
- Feb 21-22, Sat-Sun. Camp Osceola. Beginner - Advanced. Newly remodeled youth camp at 7000' in the San Bernadino mountains, Close to the San Gorgonio Wilderness. Price $60 plus car pool for 2 night and 4 meals. Outstanding backcountry skiing for intermediate to advanced skiers. Coordinator: Mike Fry, 566-3851.
- Feb 27-Mar 1, Fri-Sun. MONTECITO-SEQUOIA . Exhilarating High Sierra location in the heart of Sequoia National Forest, comfortable lodging & delicious meals, relaxing indoor recreation areas, ice skating & spa. For $277 you get 3 nights lodging, all meals while we are there & 2 1/2 days of skiing. Some ski experience required. Transportation/car pool. Deposit $100. If interested send SASE with past experience to Coordinator: Jackie Gray, 4259 Feather Ave, S. D., 92117, 270-3828.
- Mar 7-8, Sat&/or Sun. WSI: Coordinator: Needed $5 Section fee.
- Mar 12-15, Thur-Sun: Tioga Pass Winter Resort. Intermediate - advanced. Ski in 6 miles to lodge. Best spring skiing in the Sierras. Two miles to Yosemite and Sierra Crest. Cost $360 for 3 nights lodging & 6 delicious meals; car pool extra. Limit 24. Coordinator: Mark Vogt. P.O. Box 23041, San Diego, 92193. 562-1937. Chapter fund raiser.
- Mar 28-29, Apr 4-5, Apr 11-12. Sat&/or Sun. WSI: Coordinator: Dan Anderson, 578-6914.
- Apr 17-21, Fri-Tues: Sierra Ski Expedition-Tuolumne Meadows: Strong intermediate - Advanced. This is a five day ski expedition/snow camp featuring telemark and back country skiing on the peaks surrounding Tuolumne Meadows. For more details contact Coordinator: Mike Fry 566-3851
- Apr 25-26, May 2-3, May 9-10, May 16-17. Sat&/or Sun. WSI : Coordinator: Mark Vogt, 562-1937.
- May 4, Monday night. "End of the Season " Potluck Party!. A time to share pictures, videos and ski stories of the past season and discuss trips for 1998/1999. Location: Mira Mesa Community Center, 8575 New Salem Street. For information or directions call Barbara Domurad, 271-0696.
The Ski Trip schedule is above. Most of the trips take beginners and ski lessons are provided.
Trip Description Format
Trip format includes: date & days of trip; trip name; pricing information including discount (if applicable), deposit, date PIF due and items included in price; skier level(s); trip description and coordinator name and contact information.
- Novice = Never skied.
- Beginner = Still learning basic skills
- Advanced Beginner = Can ski 5-10 miles in gentle conditions, still working on snow plow turns.
- Intermediate = Able to ski up and down through easy wooded hills. Wedge turns are good in soft snow. Can ski 10-15 miles in good snow conditions. Most downhill skiers can ski intermediate X-C.
- Advanced = Can handle everything except extreme skiing.
Make check(s) payable to the Sierra Club and send with a note including your name, address, phone number, ski experience and the name of the trip. Include two 4"x9" Self Addressed Stamped Envelopes (SASE). Deposits are non-refundable. Priorities, such as bus seating and room assignments, are based on the date your full payment is received. When calling a trip coordinator, please remember they are volunteers. Call between 6 pm and 9 pm, unless otherwise stated. Please sign-up early if you can. We have to make large deposits many weeks in advance for these trips.
WSI Where the Snow Is" TRIPS. We go to the closest skiable snow. These trips are usually just for the day but occasionally we offer optional overnight stays. Transportation is usually by car. There is a $5 Section Fee plus any additional costs such as car pool, ski rental, food or lodging. As a courtesy to WSI coordinators, please do not call more than 5 days in advance of the trip and call only between 6 pm and 9 pm.
TRIP COORDINATORS & COL volunteers are needed. Discounts are available if you would like to coordinate or lead cross country ski trips. Discounts are based on the number of participants and length of the trip. If you are interested in becoming certified as a COL for ski trips, we offer training (See January 31). COL trainees can use ski trips for evaluation at either the basic or intermediate level. For more information contact Mike Fry, 566-3851.
WWW: We are on the World-Wide Web at: http://www.sierraclub.org/chapters/sandiego/xcski.html
Snow Phone: 299-1744 extension 4200. Call to get updated information up trips, meetings, information about ski equipment, where to buy and/or to rent.
End of Season Potluck: And don't forget the "End of the Season" potluck party in April, where we share pictures, videos, ski stories and talk about next year's trips. Directions are at top of reverse.
Help us make the Ski Section better by giving us your input about places to go, contacts you have with other ski groups; complaints and compliments (it's nice to hear). Let us know what you think would make trips more fun, etc. Give your feedback to:
We look forward to sharing the ski season with you.
Ski Section Mailing List
If you would like to be on our mailing list for trips (sent in the fall), please send your name, postal address, phone #, ski level, and whether you are a Sierra Club member (include your number) to Barbara Domurad, 10846 Parkdale Ave, San Diego, 92126 or e-mail to <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Also let us know about name and address corrections.
The SAND-BUS-TRIPS is the "official" electronic distribution list for San Diego Chapter bus trips organized by the Bus Trip Committee and the Cross-country Ski Section. Announcements are expected to be infrequent--typically once every other month or so. This list is solely a newsletter and doesn't allow postings by subscribers. Suggested postings of San Diego Chapter bus trips should be sent to the list owners at: SAND-BUS-TRIPS-Request@LISTS.SIERRACLUB.ORG. They will be posted at the sole discretion of the list owners.
To receive information about the SAND-BUS-TRIPS mailing list, send e-mail to LISTSERV@LISTS.SIERRACLUB.ORG with a one-line command in the body of your message (not subject), saying:
To subscribe to SAND-BUS-TRIPS, send e-mail to LISTSERV@LISTS.SIERRACLUB.ORG with a one-line command in the body of your message (not subject), saying:
SUBSCRIBE SAND-BUS-TRIPS Yourfirstname Yourlastname
* * * THINK SNOW * * *
More recent newsletters available for 98-99, 99-00, and 00-01.
San Diego Chapter Sierra Club Office, 3820 Ray Street, San Diego, CA 92104. Telephone (619) 299-1744, voice mail 299-1744, FAX 299-1742.
Sierra Club, 85 Second St., Second Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105-3441, USA. Telephone (415) 977-5500 (voice), (415) 977-5799 (FAX).
If you have problems or comments concerning our WWW service, please email email@example.com.
http://www.sierraclub.org/chapters/sandiego/xcski9798.html; last updated February 25, 2001 by Brad Buffett (link corrections).